- This event has passed.
Film Festival Master Class
Starts January 23
1 session: Saturday, January 23, 1–5pm
This class provides you with everything you need to know about submitting to, preparing for, and attending film festivals. It is designed for filmmakers working in any genre/category (narrative, documentary, experimental, shorts, features, etc.) who are entering film festivals for the first time or who’ve gotten into festivals before but want to have better success with their next film. Topics covered:
- Current festival landscape (which festivals are right for you)
- Festival strategy (where to premiere, festival cycle)
- Submitting (platforms, strategies, tools, etc.)
- Preparation (print traffic, press materials, social media, travel, etc.)
- Attending (how to maximize the experience, press, networking, etc., and how to not go broke doing it!)
Tuition: $100 regular/$75 member/$55 low-income
Michael Forstein is a director and producer from Minneapolis. His films have screened at festivals throughout the country including Sundance, SXSW, AFI, Mill Valley, Indie Memphis, Denver, and Rooftop Films. In between making films he’s helped show them for organizations like Tribeca Film Festival, Chicago International Film Festival, Rooftop Films, and Walker Art Center. In addition, he has taught master classes in filmmaking at the San Francisco Academy of Art, University of Texas-Arlington, and the University of Minnesota.
IFP MN Class Registration Guidelines
- Registration deadlines are listed with course descriptions. Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must be paid in full to be valid.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached, IFP MN may cancel the class. If so, students will be notified the week of the class and receive a full refund.
- For students wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $15 administration fee. For cancellations after the registration deadline but prior to the first session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $15 administration fee. Once a course begins, no refunds will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.