Film Festival Master Class
Starts February 4
1 session: Saturday, February 4, 1–6 pm
This class provides you with everything you need to know about submitting to, preparing for, and attending film festivals. It is designed for filmmakers working in any genre/category (narrative, documentary, experimental, shorts, features, etc.) who are entering film festivals for the first time or who’ve gotten into festivals before but want to have better success with their next film. Topics covered:
- Current festival landscape (which festivals are right for you)
- Festival strategy (where to premiere, festival cycle)
- Submitting (platforms, strategies, tools, etc.)
- Preparation (print traffic, press materials, social media, travel, etc.)
- Attending (how to maximize the experience, press, networking, etc., and how to not go broke doing it!)
Tuition: $100 regular/$75 member/$55 low-income
Michael Forstein is a director and producer from Minneapolis. His films have screened at festivals throughout the country including Sundance, SXSW, AFI, Mill Valley, Indie Memphis, Denver, and Rooftop Films. In between making films he’s helped show them for organizations like Tribeca Film Festival, Chicago International Film Festival, Rooftop Films, and Walker Art Center. In addition, he has taught master classes in filmmaking at the San Francisco Academy of Art, University of Texas-Arlington, and the University of Minnesota.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full to be valid. Registrations are accepted beyond registration deadlines as long as space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a class, IFP MN may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund by PayPal or charge card credit (for phone or in person credit card registrations) within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another course if scheduled in the same calendar year.
For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $15 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $15 administrative fee. As of a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.